Here's a quick look at some of the trends buyers can expect to see in 2015. For the full list of predictions, see REALTORMag.
1. The color coral. Color is an easy way for sellers to spruce up a home and make it feel current; expect to see this color on accent walls and in other pops of decor.
2. Open floor plans. This is a trend that will continue in new construction, making its way into condo design and more single-family homes in the suburbs. Expect more windows to expand the indoor-outdoor open space feeling.
3. Pre-made blueprints. Buyers who want a custom feel without a custom budget can find design plans for every type of site, city code, budget and climate from house plan companies. Options include multiple master suites and energy-efficient designs. Expect to find smaller footprints; more 2,300 square foot plans, for example, vs. the 3,500 square foot designs that were popular a few years ago.
4. Quartzite counters. As indestructible as manmade quartz, quartzite appeals to homeowners seeking natural stone, like granite, but without the maintenance granite requires.
5. Porcelain floors. Made to look like wood, but more durable and less expensive, porcelain is showing up in high traffic areas like hallways, as well as areas exposed to moisture, like bathrooms.
6. Specialized storage. Storage options in this category are things like large walk-in closets and super-sized pantries with room for extra appliances and prep space, or even a dedicated space for gift-wrapping.
7. Upgraded garages and mudrooms. Pet-washing stations are gaining popularity, as are temperature-controlled and highly designed spaces.
8. Water conservation features. Especially in California, rainwater collection and graywater systems are gaining popularity. Also expect to see weather-controlled watering systems, drought-tolerant plants, alternative grass options and water saving appliances and devices, such as shower heads and faucets.
9. Outdoor living upgrades. Outdoor showers near swimming pools, outdoor dog grooming stations - expect to see indoor features continue to move outside as more buyers look for outdoor living options in their homes.
If you are looking to buy or sell a home in Solano County or the surrounding area, contact me and my team at 707-249-8688. We have a deep understanding of the local market and look forward to helping you market your property or find your next home.